Tuesday, February 12, 2008

København Central Station Post Office

There is definitely a post office right by my school. I don't remember where, but I know it's around because we passed it when they took us around the city one of the first days we were here. I've been here for about three weeks and only last week did I finally find some of the other places they showed us on that tour. But they were all the important ones, like Sct. Pedr's Bageri.

Anyway, the pre-departure and on-site guidebook they mailed out said the nearest post office was two train stops away, which is actually a lot closer than it sounds. I have a monthly unlimited transportation pass and I had six and a half hours between my last class and a meeting here in the city, so I figured I'd try and find it.

I assumed that the post office would be in central station, but the directions online said it was on this little street just nearby the train station. I see it and walk to it, but it ends pretty quickly and after going around a block or two, I accepted the fact that it only went down to 60. The address was somewhere in the 30's. I walk back to the station and decide to see if maybe that weird little street actually continues and becomes the main street I'm on, which it actually did. So I walk and I see the little red post office signs that are all over Copenhagen. I walk in and that building looks like Parliament or something. I try to go one floor, but the door is locked so I go to another one where I finally see a guy behind a desk. I went up to him and said that all I wanted was to buy some stamps. And then he pointed me back into the station. After being in there for about three seconds, I realized it had to be some kind of administrative building, but for the postal service, that's a really nice building.

Anyway, I finally made it to the post office, bought my stamps and picked out a few postcards to send to people. I got back to the city in time to have lunch at RizRaz, this awesome vegetarian Mediterranean place, and still have over an hour to kill before going to the gym and attending a class meeting.

On Thursday, I'm going to Odense for a few days with school. It's somewhere in western Denmark, as most things are when you're already in Copenhagen. So far, they have yet to tell us a single thing about it, which is what's happening at 6:30 tonight.

No comments: