Friday, February 22, 2008

Nobody buys you drinks, except the Nokia guy

One cultural observation that has been discussed in my Danish class is that at bars, guys will not buy you drinks the way they do in America.

I went out to lunch with my friend Elisabeth, who is Danish and studied abroad at American University this past fall, and we were talking about the differences between Denmark and America.

I told her I thought it was funny that guys don't buy you drinks here, and it was kind of funny, because she got all serious and said "You think that's funny? I didn't have to pay for anything in America!"

And then the guy next to us said "You want drinks? I'll buy you drinks, anything you want, just put it on my tab."

It turned out that he worked for Nokia and was trying to get people to fill out surveys. So we agreed and told him all about how we use google maps more than paper ones and how we use facebook all the time.

No comments: