Saturday, April 26, 2008

Malmo Excursion

Today, I was not feeling very well. I woke up and took a shower and thought I was fine. And then I proceeded to have a grand mal seizure. Luckily, it was out of the shower and Mickey was fully awake and there to make sure I was OK. He was great - he moved things out of the way and just made sure I didn't hurt myself. When I stopped shaking, I saw him and asked if we were in Turkey. He's studying there this semester so it's not as random a question as it sounds. Then he told me we were in Denmark. He said I asked him why and I couldn't imagine why anyone would come to Denmark, which is funny, because I think that's what I and many other DIS students thought before we really explored the program and ultimately chose it. After recovering, Mickey and I went to brunch and then he showered so we could head out. Normally, I go to sleep after I have a seizure but I didn't want to disappoint Mickey and I wanted to go to Malmo, too, so I didn't tell him that.

We ended up cutting our Malmo trip short because I really wasn't feeling well and he was worried about me. But it was a lot of fun walking around. We were pretty hungry, so we found a sandwich place and got lunch. I had a normal sandwich or at least, not an open-face concoction with a lot of shrimp dumped on top. Tuve, a student at Grundtvigs who is actually Swedish, later told Mickey it was called räksmörgås. The plastic Belle standing next to it was a gift from one of Mickey's sisters, who asked him to take pictures of her with foreign things.



We were there long enough to have fun, though. We walked around a lot, which is always fun to do. We got to see the Turning Torso, which is controversial 190m-high residential and conference tower. It was finished in November of 2005 and is in the docklands of Malmo's western harbor. It is apparently based on a sculpture done by Spaniard Santiago Calatrava, the architect himself. There are 54 stories that twist 90 degrees as they go up. Unfortunately, it's not actually open to the public, so all we got to do was look at it. But it looked pretty cool and was a fun thing to go see.

After walking around a little more, we went back.
We even got back to the højskole in time for dinner, so we didn't have to buy it.

Saturday night was a future-theme party, so dinner was actually at 7 p.m. instead of 6 p.m. It's always fun when the Danes plan parties, because they go all out. The dining hall was decorated and lots of people dressed up. I wore pink tights, but that was about the best I could do. I wish I could get costumes together for all of their parties. Some of them are fantastic. But usually, the Americans just go as ourselves with some odd piece of clothing from the downstairs costume closet. It's cool that they have a costume closet, though. It comes in handy sometimes.

No comments: