Friday, April 11, 2008

Open Mic

The Danes informed us that we were planning tonight's open mic, so Josh had taken up the call to action and the rest of us sort of followed when he needed.

It was really fun, and also, I had the best cake ever at Grundtvigs. It was cinnamon and chocolate. I told Alicia she had to try it and when she asked me what flavor it was, my immediate response was "Good. Try it." The look on her face was one of such urgency; she got up right away to grab some.

Open mic night was very successful. A lot of people signed up to perform. A lot of it was in Danish, but most of it wasn't. And one group sang a lot of childrens' songs, some of which were songs like "Itsy Bitsy Spider" translated into Danish, but with the same tune, so it wasn't all lost on us.

It was also Marc's birthday! So we sang "Happy Birthday" to him. There's also a Danish birthday song that the Danes sang, which they also sang at dinner, when Signe and Amanda presented Marc with a chocolate raspberry cake in the middle of the dining hall.

But even Ole performed. If I haven't mentioned him before, he's this really cute older man who is a teacher here. I think he teaches French, but he's the one we talk to the most out of everyone. He runs our Monday night meetings to check in with us about how things are going. He read a poem by T.S. Eliot. He's so funny. I'm going to miss Ole Vind come May 18th when they kick me out of here. I don't want to think about going home!

No comments: